Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Vegetarian PotPie recipe

I don't know what's gotten into me this week, but this is my second blog post after nearly two years of silence.  But I thought that The Giant's friend Maddy might like to know this recipe and this is a good way to share it.

A long time ago, my mom-in-law gave me an ANCIENT vegetarian cookbook published by the Seventh Day Adventists. It's from the 70's at least and it has a lot of miracle foods in it, which really isn't my jam but we got attached to this in our early days so I still make my version, and it's yum.  The pot pie isn't in the cookbook that I know of but the crust comes from it.
This amount fits into a 9x13 lasagna pan.  Takes a little over an hour to make.

Whole Wheat Pie Crust:
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup regular flour
1 tsp salt.
Stir with  fork.
In  separate bowl or a container with a lid, mix:
1/2 c. oil
1/2c. very cold water
Stir or shake until emulsified.
Mix into dry ingredients.  Stir with a fork until a dough forms.  Roll out into a large rectangle between two sheets of lightly floured waxed paper.

Turn the oven on to 350.

Filling:
1 10-12 oz. pkg frozen mixed vegetables
3 10 oz. cans cream soups- potato, mushroom, mushroom with roasted garlic, whatever combo you like
1 10-12 oz. pkg frozen chik'n like food- I like Quorn niblets but other brands work fine.  You might want to cut them into smaller pieces.
About 1/2 cup milk
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. garlic powder if you used plain soups

Mix these in a bowl and plop into crust.  I mix them right in the crust, but that's a delicate process.  Have at it if you want to.
At this point I put the filled pan into the oven to start cooking the filling.
Before it goes into the oven

In a bowl, mix with a fork:
1 1/2 c. flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp kosher salt

Melt in microwave for 50 seconds or stovetop:
1 stick butter (1/2 cup)

Add butter to flour mixture with
1 1/2 c. half n half or whole milk

This will make a soupy substance.  Take the pan out of the oven and pour the goo onto the top of the warm filling.  It will be soupy.  Not to worry.  Turn the oven up to 425.  
Bake for 45 minutes until the biscuit topping is golden.
To serve make sure you cut through the bottom crust with  sharp knife.
Serve with cottage cheese on the side.

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment