Friday, February 4, 2011

Peanut Butter Vegetable Soup, by request

Here's a recipe that gets very distinct reactions from people when we mention it.  About 30% of people are totally disgusted by the idea, but the other 70% are intrigued and enjoy this combination.  So, for the adventurous among you, I post this recipe which I must state from the outset is NOT original to me.  I am a cookbook cook.  However, I can't tell you which cookbook it came from because, after about 13 years of tough love, the spine came apart and I put the favorite recipes into sheet protectors in my recipe binder.  I can tell you that it was a small vegetarian cookbook with a green cover, and it might have been put out by Better Homes and Gardens. 
Without Further Ado:

Peanut Butter Vegetable Soup.
3 stalks celery, sliced (1 1/2 cups)
2 medium carrots, chopped (1 cup)
1 large onion, diced (1 cup)
3 gloves garlic, minced
2 T butter or margarine
3 cups water
1 medium potato, diced (1 cup) I leave the skin on, personal preference
1 medium zucchini, sliced (1 cup)  I do half slices
4 tsps. instant vegetable or chicken bouillion (I use 4 cubes Herb-ox vege)
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 16oz. can of diced tomatoes
2 T snipped parsley or 2 tsp dried.
1/2 cup peanut butter

Melt the butter in a large saucepan and cook celery, carrots onion and garlic for about 5 minutes until onion is tender.  (All good vege recipes start with onion and garlic, I think)  Then, add the water, potato, zucchini, boullion cubes and pepper, and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat, cover, and simmer about 10 minutes.  Check potatoes for done-ness- this depends on how big your dices were.  Stir in undrained tomatoes and parsley.

Put the peanut butter in a small bowl and add about 1 cup of the broth to it.  Stir to combine until smooth.  Add back to pot, stir, heat through and serve.

I have never tried this with reduced fat or other modified peanut butter, so if you do, let me know how it works because this recipe has gobs of fat.  I wouldn't recommend it though- i suspect it would un-emulsify.  
I have another recipe for an African peanut soup where you puree a portion of it and add it back.  That recipe also contains tomatoes, leading me to think that these are understood to be complimentary flavors.  I never would have thought so.  But, I also love my apple salad with chili and lime juice, so, what do I know?

Please let me know if you enjoy this recipe.  I recommend serving it with fresh  bread and butter.

1 comment: